WEIRDLAND: Jake Gyllenhaal London Hotel Portraits for 'Prince of Persia'

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal London Hotel Portraits for 'Prince of Persia'

Jake Gyllenhaal London Hotel Portraits for 'Prince of Persia'

"Of course, if there's an opportunity to do another one and people respond to it," Gyllenhaal told Reuters in an interview to promote the movie, when asked if he envisaged the film as part of a series.

"I don't think that's really on our mind. I think our mind is to get this one out. But of course, it would be an honor. If an audience asks for a sequel, then that's an honor," added the actor, who trained hard for demanding stunt and fight sequences.

The three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films to date, starring Johnny Depp, are a hard act to follow, having grossed $2.7 billion at the global box office.

Industry followers see an additional challenge in that big-screen adaptations of video games have struggled to meet expectations. Estimates of Prince of Persia's production budget range from $150-200 million.
Jake Gyllenhaal returning to The Claridges Hotel in London on 4th May 2010. Pictures courtesy of Iheartjakemedia.com

"I know ... this will not appease all gamers, and I know there is a lot of skepticism about the translation of a video game to a movie, but I also feel excited that I think we've done something that's better than any of the translations that have come out thus far.

"These games haven't been given the respect they deserve in the movie world and I think (producer) Jerry (Bruckheimer) has done that and I think that we tried so hard to make it our own and at the same time stay true to the games.

"They (gamers) are tough, and I appreciate that. I come from a tough family. I don't mind tough critics."
In Prince of Persia Gyllenhaal plays Dastan, a boy adopted by King Sharaman who becomes embroiled in a quest to protect a magic dagger that can access the legendary Sands of Time, capable of turning back time.
Gyllenhaal said he looked back far into Hollywood history for inspiration.

"I like to think of this as a little bit more Errol Flynn in a way, I've always thought of it that way and I was always inspired by him in this movie."
Source: www.reuters.com

No comments :