WEIRDLAND: Sexual Armony and Disagreements, June Allyson & Dick Powell (Modern Screen)

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Sexual Armony and Disagreements, June Allyson & Dick Powell (Modern Screen)

Sexual disagreements in relationships are more strongly associated with women considering ending their relationships than men, according to a new study published in the Journal of Sex Research on November 14, 2023. This finding, emerging from an analysis of thousands of participants, challenges traditional notions about the impact of sexual harmony on relationship stability. "Based on traditional gender ideologies, we would expect that sexual disagreements are associated with instability more strongly among men than among women,” said study author Dominika Perdoch Sladká, a researcher and a PhD student at the Department of Sociology at Masaryk University. “Some previous studies found that men judge their relationships by the quality of their sexual life more often than women. We were interested in testing if the gendered relationship between sexual disagreements and union instability found in earlier studies from the United States still exists in the 21st century. Our study included both married and cohabiting partners.”

In comparison to those who never had such disagreements, women who frequently experienced sexual disagreements were 13.1 percentage points more likely to consider separation. In contrast, men with frequent sexual disagreements showed only a 5 percentage point increase in separation proneness compared to those with no disagreements. The researchers also found that, at every level of sexual disagreement, women were more inclined towards separation proneness than men. This difference was most stark among those with frequent disagreements, underscoring a notable gender disparity. The study, “Sexual Disagreements: Differences Between Men and Women in a Culturally Diverse Sample” was authored by Dominika Perdoch Sladká and Martin Kreidl. Source: https://www.tandfonline.com

June Allyson: Did you ever take a ride on the elevator of a skyscraper? Of course, well, you know how it feels when the elevator surges upward. . . phew, your head sinks to your toes—but soon, with a little effort everything returns to normal and you’re on a level keel again. And so it is with most stars, as they rise rapidly their heads swim but with a little effort the leveling off period is not far away. Sure, some stars never level off. I feel I am most fortunate being married to a man like Richard, my husband and loving critic. He has helped me to stay on that level keel, at least I’ve had my two feet on the ground. 

How do I get along with Richard? Fans write they hear rumors that I’m hypnotized, that I’m on strings, or that he’s a Svengali. Nothing could be further from the truth. So get your pencil and jot this down. When the lights are out at night, I lie in bed and thank God for my marital happiness with Richard. . . And I pray that my kids will find the happiness in his future marriages that I have found in mine. This all comes from my heart and I hope you realize that Richard is not twisting my arm. If this doesn’t kick the pins out from under the wagging tongues, well, then I’ll give up trying. Personally I couldn’t care less what gossips think and say . . . but since I have this opportunity to put it in the record—you’ve got it.

I truly wish that most husbands would be as considerate of their wives as mine is to me. Richard has a wonderful sense of humor. He knows how to make me laugh and does. He can always be expected to do the unexpected. He has no inhibitions and he exercises his prerogative as a husband to take the initiative, but always in good taste—he’s a man a girl can lean upon. Usually I lunch in my dressing room. This gives me a chance to slip into a robe and quietly relax. Here again I want to spike rumors that I’m aloof and don’t eat with the gang in the commissary. I love the gang, I love people, but I feel the picture comes first and that I must have a period of relaxation before starting the long afternoon. A little cat-nap does wonders, believe me. My favorite foods are steak and French fried onions, salads, Italian and Cantonese.

One evening in San Francisco we decided on an Italian dinner and were recommended to Vanessi’s. Well, “Uncle Joe” Vanessi, as he insisted we call him, ordered our dinner for us. It took three hours of eating our way through “Uncle Joe’s” hospitality before we could make our way out to our car. To me shopping in new places is the greatest. I always make the rounds of all the shops, see what everyone has to offer and then go back to where I saw something I liked. The trouble is, though, most of the time I forget where the shop is, or I don’t have the time to get back. Now, you asked me about traveling. We very often go to Palm Springs, about 100 miles south of Los Angeles. 

We spent a full week at Marion Davies Desert Inn, relaxing, playing tennis, golf and lying in the sun. Give us a hot day, a bottle of sun-tan oil and we’re in business. Sun-bathing is a bit mild for Richard, though; not enough action, he says. Later I went on a shopping tour with Richard. While I looked for clothes, Richard was looking at property. Yes, I love to travel. It’s fun to get away from the house but always twice as nice to return home. Who dresses me? By this I hope you mean who selects my clothes? But if you really mean “Who dresses me”—well, I’m a big girl now and I dress myself. The answer to the latter question is the same. I select my own clothes and I love to shop for myself. Richard has excellent taste in selecting clothes for me and loves nice things and likes to surprise me. I love tailored clothes, suits and lots of slacks and tops. And lots of full cottons for summer, and I adore evening gowns. It’s such fun getting dressed up for a party.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed when people stare at me in public. I jump when I hear my name spoken at nearby tables. I often wonder if other stars feel the same way, like a gold fish in a bowl—with no privacy. It seems to be a must in show business to maul and paw you with a greeting. To plant a big kiss on your cheek. I resent this when it’s done to me. I’m annoyed at over-demonstrative people. I’m sure it’s fun at home but I just don’t go for that bit . . . in public. I also resent some women being over-demonstrative with my husband and I don’t spare the horses in telling them off, I’ll tell you, I’m never annoyed by the same person twice. We see our friends and enjoy each other with small dinner parties at home. If a big group gets together, it becomes involved as to where to go, what to do and somehow, Richard always winds up as the social director. He automatically becomes the leader. It was funny when Jack Benny arrived one night with a whistle on a chain for Richard! Friends, fine friends, are where you find them. As the saying goes, “Show me your friends and I’ll know who you are.” Gosh, I’ve really been on a soap box, and here comes that man for his box, so I’ll step down. Sure, I’ll answer some more questions—some other time. —Modern Screen magazine, July 1956

No comments :