WEIRDLAND: Courtney Love offers her empathy to Amber Heard

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Courtney Love offers her empathy to Amber Heard

Courtney Love regrets weighing in on Depp v. Heard on Instagram. At the center of the case is a defamation lawsuit Johnny Depp filed against his ex-wife Amber Heard for calling herself a survivor of sexual violence in a 2018 op-ed for The Washington Post. Heard, who is countersuing, claims Depp’s team ran a smear campaign against her after she came forward with abuse allegations against Depp in 2016. A number of public figures have jumped at the chance to discredit and publicly ridicule Heard—including Ireland Baldwin, Bill Burr, and Chris Rock. Courtney Love recalled that Johnny Depp had given her CPR after she’d overdosed at a club in 1995 and he'd supported her daughter, Frances Bean, while Love was struggling with addiction. 

While Love said she had “empathy” for Amber Heard, she suggested Heard was taking advantage of the Me Too movement. It seems Love has since thought better of sharing her opinion. She quickly addressed it in a post on her Instagram account. “I engaged in expressing thoughts online. The platform accidentally posted a story I didn’t want public,” she wrote. “Is it any of my fucking business? No. What about the times I’ve been publicly defamed? My true friends have done so much to help me during these public ritual systemic humiliations? I think of my mentors in morality, whose high opinion of my actions are important to me. While I recover, I borrow the values, moral compasses of those I look up to who do the right thing. I certainly don’t always do the right thing. In my program of recovery, ‘when we were wrong, we promptly admitted it.’ I was wrong. The only important takeaway, of what was posted, is that I expressed that we should all stop having ‘fun with schadenfraude’ (look it up: ‘Delight in another’s down fall’) and show sincere empathy for both parties. If I hurt anyone, please accept my amends.” Source: www.thecut.com

No comments :