WEIRDLAND: Emotive stamp

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Emotive stamp

-Joe Nast: I think you have some mail here.
-Bertie: You think?
-I mean that I'm that I'm looking for.
-Any thing special you had in mind?
-Wedding invitations.
-You want'em back?
-I do.
-What did you forget to lick the stamps? All right.
Joe Nast: [voiceover] Dear Bertie, You asked me before where I went. And I want to tell you. I went to a place where nothing's right, where every moment's backwards, every sky's without colour, without hope. I tried to come back, Bertie. But I got lost. And while I was gone, I met you. And I didn't even have the courage to realize I was home. A wise friend of mine told me "we all have our homes", and now I know it's true. I hope you get this letter, Bertie. I figure I got 75 chances. Cause if you do you'll know that in the end, that's where I was. I found home, Bertie. I found you. I hope you can find your's soon. Get there - as fast as you can. And write me when you do. Love, Joe"."This is just Beck, deadpanning, crooning, and growling against stately arrangements and insinuating melodies. The strings are straight out of Madman Across the Water (a nod to Paul Buckmaster, who also put his stamp on The Stones' "Moonlight Mile"), the pedal steel is pre-alt-country country, and the vocals channel John Martyn and Nick Drake". Source: www.hachettebookgroupusa.com

No comments :