WEIRDLAND: Happy Birthday, Stephen Bogart!

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Happy Birthday, Stephen Bogart!

Lauren Bacall holding Stephen, son of her and Humphrey Bogart.
Lauren Bacall kissing her son Stephen Bogart


Her relationship with Humphrey Bogart was highly sexual.
On set for ‘To Have and Have Not’ (1945), where she and Bogart (then married to his third wife Mayo Methot) first got together, director Hawks would call breaks in filming to allow the couple to disperse the sexual energy between them. They would emerge later from Bogart’s dressing room, flushed and smiling, then filming would continue.

"90% of the actresses are the dullest broads in town. They have no appeal for me whatsoever, and that goes for Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell and Gina Lollobrigida. In fact, the only actress in town with true allure is Lauren Bacall".
-Humphrey Bogart (Orange Coast magazine).

"Because he was going through a difficult period with his wife, Mayo Methot, a talented actress who was hitting the bottle too much, he was often grouchy and irritable. He was also being underpaid. Despite Bogie's complaints and my own changes, trying to improve each scene, I was enjoying each day".Kaaren Verne and Humphrey Bogart in All Through the Night (1941) directed by Vincent Sherman

"Offscene, many happenings also kept things bubbling. Peter Lorre and Kaaren Verne fell in love and eventually got married after Peter divorced his wife, a gracious actress named Celia Lovsky. Bogie and Mayo had a series of drunken brawls. One morning he came in looking awful. I asked what happened "I came home late last night", he said, "and that bitch of mine locked me out. I had to sleep on the front lawn and damn near froze my ass off". It was not too long before they were divorced" - Studio affairs: my life as a film director By Vincent Sherman

Humphrey Bogart visiting Peter Lorre and his daughter Catharine

Lauren Bacall and son Stephen Bogart during the Premiere of 'The Mirror Has Two Faces' at Ziegfeld Theater in New York City

"[Stephen] Bogart was only 8 years old when his father died from cancer of the esophagus, and says he doesn’t remember much about him.

“I remember him en toto, as a person, but nothing specific”, he said. “He was working all the time and on the weekends he went out on the boat, Santana. I remember his look, and him wearing a brown jacket. I remember a lunch at Romanoffs. We didn’t do a lot together. Oh, and I remember going to Catalina Island.”

“You know it all depends on how you measure success,” he said. “I’ve got a job. I’m doing some things. I got three great kids.” Source: www.wptv.com

Leslie Bogart, Stephen Bogart, and Lauren Bacall during Humphrey Bogart Postage Stamp Premiere at Mann Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, United States.

No comments :