WEIRDLAND: Ryan Adams investigated by FBI, Chauvinist ways of old rockers (John Lennon, Jim Morrison)

Friday, February 15, 2019

Ryan Adams investigated by FBI, Chauvinist ways of old rockers (John Lennon, Jim Morrison)

Mandy Moore described her ex-husband Ryan Adams as “controlling,” “destructive” and “manic.” The F.B.I. is “looking into” whether singer-songwriter Ryan Adams’ sexually explicit communications with an underage fan were criminal behavior, according to a law enforcement official cited by The New York Times. The fan, identified only as “Ava,” was between the ages of 14 and 16 when the interactions, which included nudity, took place. Adams' first of his planned 2019 releases, “Big Colors,” which was to have come out April 19, has been “put on hold.” Retailers began reporting Thursday night that they’ve been notified the album has been yanked from the schedule by Universal Music Group. Adams’ Pax-Am label has deleted its own pages devoted to pre-orders for the CD and LP. On top of the album being put in limbo, three companies that manufacture gear for musicians have publicly severed ties with Adams and announced that the products bearing his name will be taken off the market or out of development. Source: variety.com

Some comments from ex-fans on Ryan Adams' Facebook page:

M.K: Ryan Adams, you suck. I will never listen to your music again. And you have been my favorite artist for 20 years. Maybe you can write a sensitive song about being a sexual predator... A.M: You suck! Just deleted all your shit and broke your records. Don’t want anyone listening to your shit again! Douchebag. Career over. P.S: 20 god damn years I have been listening to your music, going to your concerts (even the ones you walked out on) telling everyone within earshot that this man is our Dylan. I feel so sick today. If this is true you need to get some help, and as the father of a 19 month old daughter I am so ashamed that I have a wall full of your records. W.L: Narcissistic much, psycho?!? Don’t bother getting yourself help, you’re a lost cause and have no worth. There; all of your biggest fears confirmed. And yes, all women hate you and you always were undateable and will remain that way as no one wants what you offer, filth. Not one single person respects you. Buy a garbage can, that’s where you belong. No one cares if you’re dead or alive FYI. That’s confirmation of yet another one of your pathetic fears that you live your life in. V.M: Your actions in the past are absolutely horrifying and I am glad you have been exposed for what you truly are, a serial sexual abuser of young women. Your legacy has been destroyed. You are a disgrace to man kind. You bring shame on your nation and family. You have lost so many fans and I will thoroughly enjoy your downfall, you worthless pile of dog trash. Source: www.facebook.com

John Lennon met Cynthia Powell in 1957, when they were fellow students at the Liverpool College of Art. Although Powell was intimidated by Lennon's attitude and appearance, she heard that he was obsessed with the French actress Brigitte Bardot, so she dyed her hair blonde. Lennon asked her out, but when she said that she was engaged, he screamed out, "I didn't ask you to fuckin' marry me, did I?" She often accompanied him to The Quarrymen gigs and travelled to Hamburg with Paul McCartney's girlfriend. Lennon was jealous by nature and eventually grew possessive, often terrifying Cynthia with his anger and physical violence. Lennon later said that until he met Yoko Ono, he had never questioned his chauvinistic attitude toward women.


"I have to admit it's getting better Since you've been mine/Me used to be angry young man/Me hiding me head in the sand/You gave me the word, I finally heard/I'm doing the best that I can/I've got to admit it's getting better/It can't get no worse/I have to admit it's getting better/Since you've been mine/It's getting better all the time/I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved/Man, I was mean but I'm changing my scene/And I'm doing the best that I can/" -"Getting Getter" (1967) written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney/Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

A real womanizer, when he was sober, Jim Morrison was the epitome of the southern gentleman, considerate, extremely polite, generous, very romantic and higly respectful towards women. As John Densmore recalled: "Jim liked to treat women with great respect." Jim wrote passionate love letters and poems to these women, and many thought he really meant it, but Pam was the only one in his heart. Some claim Morrison got very angry with Pam over her use of heroin. A neighbor in Laurel Canyon recalls Pam describing a violent argument over the issue where she locked herself in the closet to get away from Jim's rage. Close friends of Morrison's doubt the validity of this story, however.  The more "beloved" and "respected" figures in rock music have a nice, revisionist-style in the re-telling of their life story. Keith Moon terrorized, controlled, psychologically abused his wife; his only child was terrified of him. But that get's "glossed over", and Moon is remembered as an adorable and "funny" drummer! Read excerpts from Mike Nesmith's Infinite Tuesday autobiography. The "smart" Monkee? A great visionary? Nothing more than an arrogant idiot, a nitwit who got very lucky. And from what I can gather little Davy Jones made Jim Morrison look like a prince. Oh, those adorable Monkees...

The problem with Jim Morrison was that he was thrown under the bus in the worst possible way by his own camp. Danny Sugerman's "No One Here Gets Out Alive" made for salacious reading but set the Jim Morrison 'scumbag' image in stone. Trash Jim Morrison and a deafening silence is the only response. Could Jim Morrison be a scumbag? Sometimes. But let's put every single rock figure from the 1960s on the witness stand and let's see how well they come across. David Bowie liked young girls as young as 14. A lot of them have sins that exceed Morrison's. All of them could be scumbags. Bruce Botnick describes a familiar scene: "So here were the two of them, Jim and Pam, completely out of their minds and crying. He started shaking her violently. I think he was putting a show on me. She was crying out of control, telling him he shouldn't drink any more. And I'm cleaning up, and I said, 'Hey, man, it's pretty late.' He looked up, stopped shaking her, said, 'Yeah, right,' and hugged her, and they walked out arm in arm. I felt he had done all that for effect. I'd seen him do that sort of thing before, because he'd always give you a funny look afterward, to see your reaction." —"Break On Through: The Life and Death of Jim Morrison" (2014) by James Riordan

No comments :