WEIRDLAND: William Hurt defends Kristen Stewart

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

William Hurt defends Kristen Stewart

William Hurt, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ang Lee attending CAA Pre-Oscar Party on 3rd March, 2006 in Hollywood, CA.

Kristen Stewart plays rebellious Martine in "The Yellow Handkerchief".
-So what do you make of this three-ring circus that surrounds Kristen Stewart wherever she goes?
-I’ve defended her in public as regularly as I can. I think it’s absurd, that they’re not giving her a break. I think that she’s holding her own, that she’s courageous, that she’s inventive, and that she’s got character oozing out of her, and I say, “Give her a break. Who is she to pander to your idea of what she’s supposed to be?” She has every right in the world to express herself exactly as she chooses to, and she’s got a lot of surprises up her sleeve. Why won’t they give that woman a break?
She was one of the ones who prepared the most! Kristen and I worked together great, and so did me and Eddie [Redmayne]. We had two weeks of wonderful rehearsal on this project, and that’s why it’s a good film. [A publicist enters the room] Excuse us. [“One more question,” says the publicist. Hurt raises his voice.] Come on! Give us a break. We’re just getting started.

-If you were starting out right now and you were her age, do you think you’d be able to withstand all this pressure?-I couldn’t take it. No. My route was categorically different from hers. I have to study something for fifteen years before I take a risk, and then I take a very calculated and big risk, but I really have to work hard before I jump. I do jump, but I look at where it can make the most impact. [Kristen’s] route may be different, but the ends might be the same.
-When I spoke to Maria Bello earlier, she said she likes as little preparation as possible. But when you’re in the scene with her, she’s home. She’s there. So she’s doing something.
-Is it interesting to reconcile those different approaches, or does it just happen naturally?
William Hurt plays Brett Hanson in "The Yellow Handkerchief".
-It depends, you know. It depends, but to me, there is a common denominator. Maria is a very considerate person. She’s not just in flagrante delicto. She obviously has a structured approach to life. She’s got a life and integrity, and integrity means there’s life and structure and principles. That’s what you’re working with — the idea of total spontaneity is total chaos, for God’s sake. There’s form there. There are things she’s trying to convey and questions that she’s asking her peers, and there’s a real conversation there and I can understand it. She’s considerate. Lack of structure? Maybe she doesn’t prepare the way I do, but she prepares". Source: www.movieline.com

Kristen Stewart and Noel Clarke at BAFTA's on 21st February 2010.

"The girl is actually a brilliant actress and people are only hating on her because every piece of great acting work that she has done has been eclipsed by the juggernaut that is twilight… Lets be honest, that’s what it’s really about isn’t it? People not liking her because she stars in those films that do so well and they are not considered worthy by the snobs. Personally, I don’t mind em. They ain’t the godfather, (Neither was AVATAR) but they’re entertaining.
Kristen Stewart with Kate Hudson and Claire Danes at Burberry Prorsum LFW Autumn/Winter 2010 Women's wear show in London, on 23rd February 2010.

Not that I would ever compare my films to anything Kristen Stewart does. But why hate on a person because they are doing well? It makes no sense. Also she was cast in that film because of her talent. That’s how films like that are cast. Not everyone thought it would blow up like it did and so what that it has? She is actress who took a role. That’s what actors do.

So we end up at the BAFTAS. The British academy awards. I step on the stage, do my little speech and read the envelope. “Kristen Stewart” She comes up does her speech and leaves.
I got a sense of a lovely, nervous and shy girl who respected the other actors she was up against and was a bit overwhelmed by winning. More importantly than that, I see a girl got into this acting job because she wants to actually act and play different roles. There is a difference between wanting to act and wanting to be a star.


Kristen Stewart - BAFTAS EDITION 2010 // from the heart.


It’s difficult at any age when you can’t go anywhere with out people wanting a piece of you, and she is still young. People who said she was weird on stage, well… I don’t really agree. It’s a little daunting up there, I would love to see some of her detractors get up in front of 2000 or so people with only your name as notice, (she didn’t know she was getting it) and half of those people be people that do the same job as you and are looking at you from head to toe, and all you want to do is just not fall over. It’s not easy.

So. Would i have liked Nick to win..? Sure.

Am i upset that Kristen won? No way.

Did she deserve to win? Yeah she did, and i’m glad she did.

Exclusive Empire interview with Kristen about her Bafta and what it means to her.

She was talented enough for us jury members to put her there in the first place and the public support her the most. Done deal.
She may be a Mega star now, but she is still a rising star in terms of where her career is going, because just being in a blockbuster doesn’t make you a good actor. The girl is talented and has made some smart choices beyond the big movies. Source: noelclarke.tumblr.com

No comments :