WEIRDLAND: Heath Ledger, Lily Cole's love interest in Dr. Parnassus

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Heath Ledger, Lily Cole's love interest in Dr. Parnassus

Heath Ledger and Lily Cole as Tony and Valentine in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" (2009).

"Over time I started to absorb what I was doing and who I was working with", she told the Huffington Post about landing the role of the female lead, Valentina. "It was a really, really amazing team to have been asked to be a part of."
That team included the famously trippy Gilliam (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil) and screen legend Christopher Plummer, who plays Cole's 1,000-year-old magician father fighting to save her from the Devil--a delightfully sinister Tom Waits. And most famously, Heath Ledger, who played Cole's love interest in his last big-screen appearance and died while they were shooting."There was this huge void", said Cole. "There was this very energetic person and force that was there previously that was now gone. Everyone really, really loved him." Source: www.huffingtonpost.com

"And the first time we see Heath in the movie, he is hanging from a noose. That was disturbing for me, considering he died during the filming of this movie. I found myself really mourning the fact that he’s dead throughout the movie. Why? Because Heath Ledger really was an amazing actor. In Dr. Parnassus – it was evident that he really was a phenomenal actor, who’s talent surpassed any of his peers. It’s such a tragedy that he’s no longer with us, because he was a genius. His final performance in Dr. Parnassus reflects this. He was brilliant.He was able to film majority of the film, until he passed – and his role was turned over to his good friends Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell. Which in my opinion didn’t really disrupt the film at all (as I had thought going into it). Johnny, Jude and Colin each had a 5 minute (at most) scene in the film – which occurs only when Heath’s character steps into Dr. Parnassus’ “imaginarium”. It is a strange movie, but after I left the theater, I started to put it all together, and it made sense. It was really a very beautiful, moving movie. If you’re a fan of Terry Gilliam you will absolutely ADORE this movie. If you’re a fan of Heath Ledger, you need to see this, his final film. I will say this movie will not be loved by all, but I loved it. It was a great piece of art, a wonderful step into Terry Gilliam’s strange world. I loved seeing Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell join the movie, even if briefly. (I could have used a whole lot more of Johnny Depp! He was absolutely GENIUS as always!) The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus comes out on Christmas Day.
Go see it!
Source: icydk.com

No comments :