WEIRDLAND: Robert Pattinson, not so romantic as Edward is

Saturday, November 07, 2009

Robert Pattinson, not so romantic as Edward is

Robert Pattinon and Kristen Stewart at 'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' cast tour in Hollywood & Highland on 6th November 2009.


New clip of Robert Pattinson during his interview talking about ‘New Moon’.

Q: Do you appreciate Edward more, with each movie? What are your favorite things about him?Rob: When I read New Moon, it gave me ideas about how to play him in the first film. It's the one I connected to the most, and the one that humanized Edward for me the most, as well. In the first one, he still does remain, from beginning to end, an idealistic character. But, in the second one, he makes a mistake that's acknowledged by everybody, including himself. Also, he is totally undermined by more powerful creatures, and he's undermined emotionally by people as well. That's what humanized it.Q: Love plays such a major part of these films, and so many fans want what happens on the screen to happen in your real life. How do you separate falling in love in real life with the women that you're cast opposite?Rob: You've always got to remember that you're being paid. There's a lot of connotations that come with that. That's one of the major separations.
Q: This franchise has made you a bankable leading man. How has that changed your career, and where do you want to be in five years?Rob: I don't know. I've only done one movie outside of the series, which was Remember Me. That's going to be out sometime next year. But, even that, I did with the same studio. I'm still a little bit blind, as to what my actual economic viability is, outside of the series, but it's definitely different. You get offered stuff that you never would have dreamed of getting offered before, but that's scary as well 'cause you don't have to audition for anything. You're just like, "I don't want to do a movie just 'cause it gets made'.Rob: It is just a blur. There are random moments which stand out, but I've been working so much this year that it's almost like living in an alternate reality. The hours on a film set are so long that you're doing doctor hours, and every doctor that I've ever spoken to says the same thing, that you have no idea what's going on, other than working. You're away from your family and friends, and all that stuff.Q: When you are shooting the more romantic things, what goes through your head?Rob: It's weird. I keep getting told by people, "Pump up all the stuff about the action, so the guys will go and see it," but it's ridiculous. It's like saying that guys can't appreciate romance. I don't think you can say that about Gone with the Wind. I've watched Titanic and I didn't think, "Oh, this is a girl's film."
Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in "Titanic" (1997).

Especially in New Moon, and actually in the whole series, I've never played it thinking, "Oh, I'm in a series of girls' films and I'm doing something just for girls." I don't feel like I'm doing an animated Tiger Beat, every week. I like doing romantic scenes. I felt like a lot of the storyline in New Moon is very heartbreaking and true. I didn't think I was doing something, just for the sake of romance. I thought, in a lot of ways, that it was a really sad story.
Q: Are you a romantic person, in real life? What is the most romantic thing you've ever done?

Rob: I haven't done that many romantic things, in my life.
Q: Have you ever given anyone flowers?

Rob: Yeah, I did. I put a flower in someone's locker when I was 15 years old. This girl, called Maria. Maybe I was 14. She actually thought it was from someone else, and the other guy claimed it as well, which was just great.
Q: What has it been like to develop the romantic triangle?

Rob: It was weird because I hardly did any scenes with Taylor. We just did the scenes at the beginning and the scenes at the end, and he had his entire storyline develop without me being around, which is interesting because I had no idea where his performance was going. It wasn't really a competition or anything. It was independent. Whereas, in Eclipse, we did scenes together, all the time, with Bella. It really shows the dynamic in that film.

Q: Who is your favorite movie vampire of all time, and why?
Rob: I don't really know. I always think of the wrong people. I'll be like, "Ethan Hawke in Interview with a Vampire", and someone will say, "He's not the vampire." There's a bunch. I actually really like Wesley Snipes (in Blade). I think he's great.Q: How do you maintain the balance of letting your fans and the public know who you are, outside of just being Edward, but also keep your private life private?Rob: I think you just do it through doing jobs. It's such a risky thing, doing interviews. I try to limit the amount of interviews I do. No one is that interesting, especially when you're not really saying anything. And, I don't particularly want to be some kind of character in society. So, I guess the only thing you can do is do jobs and see if people respond to that.But, I'm always holding onto the fact that I don't really know who I am, so hopefully I won't compartmentalize myself because of that. I'm just completely ignorant of the whole thing. I've never really struggled with anything, up until recently. I've got to stop being so self-depreciating 'cause people are starting to believe it. They'll be like, "That guy is an idiot" so I've tried to stop doing that.Q: Is James Dean one of your favorite actors?

Rob: One of, yeah.

Q: Are you going to have to learn Comanche for your role?

Rob: Yeah.

Q: Have you had time for your music?

Rob: I'm trying to".

Source: iesb.net

No comments :