WEIRDLAND: Edward and Bella: coveted characters

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Edward and Bella: coveted characters

“I’ve absolutely thought I’ve been sure of something and then been told that I was just dead wrong so I can totally relate to that” Kristen told Access Hollywood’s Shaun Robinson of a past real-life break-up at the “New Moon” junket in Los Angeles on Friday.And while she wouldn’t discuss the status of her relationship with co-star Robert Pattinson, she did answer a question on who would make a better spouse — Robert or Taylor Lautner.“I’m sure they would both be great husbands”, she said. “Taylor is like one of the most steady [people] — he’s really just a good guy. And then if you’re into…Rob is really a more, sort of analytical, thoughtful, like wishy-washy intellectual so it depends.”Kristen, however, wouldn’t reveal what she herself was into.
“If I give the answer away, it’s not like it would make my life easier”, she said. “People want [to know], and I understand, especially when you have two characters that are so coveted like this. But I’m going to protect myself.” Source: www.accesshollywood.com

Robert Pattinson - "New Moon" Press Conference, on 6th November 2009.

Q: Appearing in most of the movie as only a series of visions, did you feel disjointed from your cast mates at all? Did you wish you were in more of the film?
Rob: Those scenes were the hardest scenes. They weren't really, at the time, but after I saw the first cut of the movie, they changed them quite a bit in the edit and ADR. It's not Edward. It's a manifestation of Bella's loneliness and desperation. It was always very difficult. I asked Kristen, "How would you play it?" It's her opinion, so that was hard. As for being alone, I've always felt a little bit aloof as the character, throughout the whole series. I think that's how he is, so I didn't feel any different.Q: What was it like to film that break-up scene between Edward and Bella?Rob: There's something weird about it. One of the main things I felt doing that and what really helped was people's anticipation of the movie, and the fans of the series' idea about what Bella and Edward's relationship is and what it represents to them. It's some kind of ideal for a relationship. And so, just playing a scene where you're breaking up the ideal relationship, I felt a lot of the weight behind that. Also, it took away a fear of melodrama. It felt seismic, even when we were doing it. It was very much like the stepping out into the sunlight scene, at the end. You could really feel the audience watching, as you're doing it. It was a strange one to do.Q: Have you ever had your heart broken, like Edward does when he leaves Bella?
Rob: No, I don't think so.Q: What were your thoughts while you were filming that scene in Italy, where Edward reveals himself in the sunlight?Rob: I just came to a realization about that scene. It was one of the closest moments I really felt to people's emotional attachment to the character because there were so many extras there who were just Twilight fans, who had flown in to be in the town square. Just taking that one step into the light, it's been the one moment, since the first Comic-Con, where I've felt the whole weight of anticipation and responsibility to all the people who are so obsessed with the stories. It was a good moment. It was very nerve-wracking, but I probably felt the most in character that I've ever felt, throughout the whole series, at that moment.Q: If there was a fight between Edward and Jacob, who would win?

Rob: I don't know. I think it's actually a fact that Edward would win, if I read the books correctly. So, I guess I can hold onto that, for my ego.
Q: What personality traits do you share with Edward?Rob: I guess stubbornness, in some ways, about some things. He's pretty self-righteous. I get quite obsessive about things, and possessive as well". Source: www.reelempire.com

Q: Have you heard of a start date on the fourth film, Breaking Dawn? Is there any truth to the rumor that it might be two films?

Kristen: I don't know.

Q: How do you relate to the idea of being immortal?
Kristen: I can only relate to that as Bella can, because she is still human. The way that I consider immortality, from both my perspective as Kristen and my perspective as Bella, is that it's so completely unknown, but given the right motivating factor, I'd be willing to explore it. Bella is very willing to acknowledge that she doesn't know, but that she's willing to give it a chance because of Edward, and because she's willing to sacrifice anything for him. A big thing for Bella is change. She's so terrified of change because she's been thrust into this world. Basically, if you're facing something that is completely unknown, but you're willing to take everything that is hard about it because of what you might get, that's hope. That's people. That's why we get up, every day. Immortality is almost more scary, in our story, than mortality. To live forever seems like a really cool thing on the surface, but in our story, it's terrifying and it means taking your soul, at least to Edward. It's about the lines of personal belief, theology and your faith, and what you think is going to happen after you die. These are things that we think about incessantly in the movie, and they're things that Edward and Bella argue about.Q: How did you balance playing Bella with playing a character like Joan Jett?

Kristen: I can only play characters that I feel like are real people, in a complete way, and in such a whole way that, if I fake any aspect of it, I will have failed them and, literally, they're slaughtered. It's like they don't exist anymore, unless I do it. So, in terms of approaching parts, it just happens.
Playing Joan Jett had nothing to do with Bella. It was a small period of time that I had to do it, but it was an opportunity that I jumped on because it was going to go away if I hadn't. I would've liked more time.Q: You talked about Bella being a good role model for young girls, and yet she seems willing to sacrifice everything for Edward. She gets depressed about a love affair that ends and becomes an adrenaline junkie who's trying to kill herself, in a way. Are you worried about 12- or 13-year-old girls watching this and getting a terrible idea of what that's like?Kristen: It's a very extreme story. I think people take to this story who are more mature than that. The only way that I can justify that, and maybe I'm an immature girl as well, is that I really feel like, if you feel like you need to do it, then do it, with anything. After you're told that you've made a mistake and that you're wrong, if you're willing to say that you made a mistake and that you were wrong, and that you're going to try the next thing, there's nothing to be ashamed of, at all. Be extreme. Go for it. I think that's the point. I know this is a movie about immortality, but you only live once". Source: www.reelempire.com

No comments :