WEIRDLAND: Michael Cera talks about The Year One

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Michael Cera talks about The Year One

"-Yeah, for a few days after that my skin was really just in pain. Especially under my armpits because I guess they hey put this gold powder on which is kind of this metal base. So, it was really sharp. Wiping it off was like sandpaper. It was just crazy. And then like your armpits all day are sort of like this (holding up his arm). And the were on fire for like a week after. I couldn’t lift my arm higher than this or it was excruciating.
 
-Why are you painted in gold?

-Kyle Glass paints me gold in the movie. He plays an Eunuch in the movie paints me gold to be a gold statue. I heard you use compulsory to the slave driver in the scene…

-Compare Jack’s style to say Jonah Hill’s. How are they similar or different?

-Um, I dunno. I mean. Different approaches I guess. I think Jack really studies the script and really knows it. If a new scene comes up every day, I think he really just knows it. I think he’s spent time with the script whereas Jonah plans on kind of working on his feet, his toes. I think that’s kind of a major difference. 
-Similarities?

-They are both funny. Um. Nice, fun guys to hang out with. So are you the guy who always gets the bad end of it in the movie?
-Yeah. Get whipped. I guess so. It’s not too far off. What kind of research did you do for this? Did you crack open the bible or?

-No, no, I was just more afraid of it not being funny. Harold, there are a lot of people thinking about that stuff. Do you like dressing up with a wig and crazy hair?

-Yeah, it’s fun. This isn’t my main wig. In the second have of the movie they cut my hair, but I normally have a long wig and it was custom made and looks just like my hairline. It’s really insane. It’s weird when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and forget you’re wearing it. What’s been your favorite scene so far?
-Uh, I dunno. Any of the scenes where Jack has a big speech are always kind of fun. I can just stand there and watch him go. He’s really great with those great, epic speeches. There are a lot of those in the movie that he makes. 

-Is there a lot of physical humor I the movie?

-Kind of. Would you call body paint physical humor? There’s not too much falling down. There is a cougar that attacks us. Jack falls down a few times. I fall down a cliff. So, yeah, it’s all funny I guess. We heard the cougar went through the torture scene?
-I just kind of stand there while me and Jack are kind of in the middle of it while it happens. It’s a funny scene. Which of the guys in this movie would you consider to be your heroes growing up? Your comedy heroes?

-Well, “Ghostbusters” is kind of the reason I wanted to be an actor. When I was four I really liked “Ghostbusters” and wanted to act from a young age because of that.
-So, it’s great working with David Cross who also loves “Ghostbusters.” Um, it was really amazing getting to listen to Harold all day. 

-Do you harass him about stories about the movie?

-He’s really great about telling stories and he just volunteers stuff and is just great. He told me one today because we were in this freezing mud and he told me this scene that he had to do for “Ghostbusters II.” He told me it was the worst night of his life. They were freezing, it was really cold in New York and they had to have slime on them and it was like, freezing. Miserably cold. So, that was really cool".

Source: www.joblo.com

No comments :