WEIRDLAND: Kat Dennings on "Nick & Norah"

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Kat Dennings on "Nick & Norah"

-"How has it been to work with Michael Cera?

-KD: Oh God, he's the cutest thing in the universe. We're about to go do some reshoots and I'm so excited I feel like I'm going to Disneyland. When we shot the film it all takes place at night so it was all night shoots. We'd get up at 3 in the afternoon, go to set and by the time we got out of the make-up trailer it was dusk and we'd work through until the sun started to rise.

It was like the most fun camp ever. You're with your friends and you're having so much fun and you're just roaming New York. It was amazing and I made some really good friends there. Ari Graynor, this girl who plays my best friend Caroline in the movie, has become one of my very best friends in the world so we get to go back and play best friends again except this time we are best friends! It's going to be so much fun, I can't wait.

For those unfamiliar can you tell us what it's all about?-KD: It's based on a book by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan and it's been embraced by all sorts of people, not just teenagers. It's not overtly teenager-y. Teenagers don't say 'like' a lot -- well, I do, but most don't, and they don't talk in quips and aren't typically dumb. The male author wrote the Nick's chapters and the female author wrote the Norah's chapters.

Every chapter alternates between their points of view and it's their takes on the same scenes. It was really an interesting thing to shoot and I think it really turned out well. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but bits I have seen have made me want to see it when it's finished!-How does that work in the film, the way it alternates between the two?

-KD: We tried it with narration from me and Michael and I don't know whether that'll stay in the final film, but the creators and the authors are very involved in this so it's going to do it justice. They're trying to figure out the best way, in terms of making it comprehensible to the audience; how best to tell this between the two of them. I think it's going to be visual, I don't know if they're going to use the voiceovers, so I think you're going to see the scenes from Norah's point of view and then from Nick's or visa-versa".

Source: www.rottentomatoes.com

No comments :