WEIRDLAND: Strange Thoughts

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Strange Thoughts


Ok, dear weird kindred, marriage and insomnia can be a strange combination, specially if your husband is so understanding somehow it makes feel you more guilty. The case is that there is a guy out there who supposedly was in love with me (sounds 100% corny at this point, I know, but not it's less true even so), and I want to dedicate to him this post. I won't say his name, because maybe that only would magnify my vanity, but we shared a story. His favourite song was "California Sun" by The Ramones, and his favourite movie is/was "Memento", we would watch things as "The Blank Generation" and would get drunk, we would listen to Herman Brood songs and even cried when he committed suicide, and read fanzines, so I have too much class (or I'm much of a coward) to post this in the San Valentine day.
You said me you danced without a sense of rhythm, but you know what? you're a liar.


"All my friends say I'm a fool/I can't still stand that new boy hangin' around/ Every night, honey, you're, you're not on the dancefloor/I know he is back in town/ And Marguerita, I want you so much/Can't handle myself/Tryin' to find me another love/But I just turn out to be foolin' myself, 'cause honey/I want you/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else./Hey, didn't see you hangin' around in the après-ski/And I didn't see you downtown/I know your rock'n'roll fancy playboy kind of boyfriend/ And I hate to see him back in town/Hey, Marguerita, I want you so much/Can't handle myself/Oh, I tried so hard to find me another love/But I just fooled myself, 'cause/I want you/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/'Cause when you're near/I can hear you moan/As long as you're hangin' round/I don't feel down/Hey!/ I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/Hey!/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else/I love you like I love myself/And I don't need no, I don't need nobody, child/(Hey, mama) I love you like I love myself/And I don't need nobody else."
"I LOVE YOU LIKE I LOVE MYSELF" -HERMAN BROOD.

6 comments :

The Chemistry Guru said...

He who's name shall not be mentioned has got great taste in music.
I walk and they walk
I twist and they twist
I shimmy and they shimmy
I fly and they fly Yeah!!!

Phew! I feel like taking a jig with Jake too.

The Chemistry Guru said...

You've got a wonderful person by your side to share the good, the bad and the insomnia. Don't feel guilty for their understanding, be grateful that you have that special bond with each other.
A lot of couples would kill for that. I know I would.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you know Herman Brood's music and who the guy was..!! I had no idea he was known in other countries than the Benelux!
(And jeez, I have got to get away from the Internet..!).

Elena said...

Thanks, Kokodee, I must admit I feel a bit depressed now, remembering those days, a failed love is one of the most bitter experiences, and I consider myself lucky of fighting (so far) successfully for my health recovery and for being in a stable relationship (at last!), but I my voice inside my head says me I'll probably be an irredeemable teenager at heart.

Penny Lane, Herman Brood came to Spain (Benidorm and Costa Blanca) on tourism sometimes and one of my publishers (I wrote for some fanzines at the time) met him in person and hung around "Abraxas" pub. I've added in the post a video from Youtube I like specially of Herman Brood singing with Nina Hagen and Lene Lovich "I love you like I love myself"

The Chemistry Guru said...

Herman Brood I wasn't sure about...dutch? nowergian? but lovely music.

By the way its California Sun by the Ramones. I bump my head a lot to them, greatest friggin band.

Elena said...

Herman Brood was Dutch, (born in Zwolle, 1946 – died in Amsterdam, July 11, 2001).
With the band 'Herman Brood and his Wild Romance' he wrote "Shpritsz", which contained the anti-drug song 'Dope Sucks'. He committed suicide on July 11 by jumping from the roof of the Hilton Hotel at the age of 54. Herman Brood was also known for his paintings, poetry and for creating murals in public spaces of Amsterdam.

"California Sun": http://www.sendspace.com/file/pi9n2c